‘Tis the season…it seems like now that Winter is here, everyone is coughing, hacking, sniffling and sneezing.
#AceFoodNews says `What a Great Idea’ #chefs-tips
When the Ottawa Hospital decided to prominently display nutritional information for its cafeteria meals, the resulting labels created some awkward moments. The sky-high sodium levels of certain items, now available for all to see, were downright “embarrassing,” recalls an outside researcher.
But the up-front listing of calorie, fat and salt content succeeded in catching the attention of most customers, and actually led to reduced and healthier eating, concluded a study of the program, the first of its kind in Canada.
The federally funded research adds to a simmering debate over what and how much customers should be told about their restaurant meals.
The results suggest that publishing nutrition information on menus and menu boards — rather than providing it more discreetly on request or over the Internet, as industry favours — can trigger concrete changes in behaviour, said David Hammond, the University of Waterloo public-health professor who headed the study.
View original post 653 more words
Back-to-School Nutrition Resource Guide
- Kids’ Safe and Healthful Foods Project
Recently, the U.S. Department of Agriculture issued new “Smart Snacks in School”nutrition standards to help ensure that students are provided with school snack foods and beverages that contain less sodium, sugar, and fat.
Many schools have begun to implement new food policies and provide a fresh take on nutritious meals.
Read “School Food Success Stories” to find out how state legislators, parents, and teachers worked together to put fruit and vegetable dishes at the head of the class.
|Read 7 Smart Snack Questions||View the Infographic:
|Read the Success Stories|
|View the Infographic:
|View the interactive:
Calculating the Costs
|Read Leaders’ Quotes on Smart Snacks|
- Frugal Vegan: Back to school and back to on-the-go snacks (cumberlink.com)
- New rules will remove cookies, other snacks from schools (charlotteobserver.com)
- Avoid the Campus Food Crawl: A Few Healthy Eating Back-to-School Tips (onegreenplanet.org)
- Canadian Healthy Vending Applauds the Decision to Ban Unhealthy Snacks from the Canada Summer Games Athletes Village (virtual-strategy.com)
- Is Your School Banning Cheetos? How the New Smart Snacks in School Guidelines May Affect the Classroom Party (blogher.com)
- Health: USDA finalizes new standards for school snacks (state-journal.com)
- Big Changes Coming to School Vending Machines (civileats.com)
- Benefits Of Healthy Vending Boston Services (amanar27.wordpress.com)
- The skinny on healthier snacks in school (thegrio.com)