About this recipe: This is a family favourite. The top is light and fluffy, almost like a soufflé, while the bottom is a delectable lemony sauce. I like it served chilled.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 30g (1 oz) butter, softened
- 300g (11 oz) caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 350ml (12 fl oz) semi skimmed milk
Prep:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr
- Beat together egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and butter until thick. Combine sugar, flour and salt; add alternately with milk to the yolk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into milk mixture. Pour into 20cm square baking dish.
- Place a pan of hot water in the oven, and set the baking dish into the pan. Bake at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 45 minutes.