Maca root is a tuber, kind of like a potato. It is very well known as a natural energy booster.
It can also help with hormonal issues such as menopause and fertility.
Maca is rich in B vitamins as well. So I decided to make an energy bar with it.
This energy bar is not only vegan, but grain free and gluten free too.
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 2 T chia seeds
- 2 T maca powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a food processor, grind the almonds into a course consistency.
- Add them to a bowl with the sunflower seeds, maca powder, flax meal, pepitas, chia seeds and salt.
- In a saucepan, combine the maple syrup, almond butter and coconut oil.
- Mix until all are well combined.
- Add it to the bowl with the dried ingredients.
- Tear a sheet of parchment slightly bigger than an 8X8 pan.
- Line an 8X8 pan with the paper.
- Spread in the mixture and pack down tight .
- Place in the fridge to set. About 1 hour.
You should get 8 bars out of a batch according to the recipe ingredients.
Store them in the fridge or even freeze them for longer storage.