#AFHN2014 – Licorice is good for you but eating too much can be harmful – be careful #chefs-tips
Interesting Food Facts about Licorice
- The botanical name for licorice translates to “sweet root.”
- The licorice plant is actually a member of the pea family.
- Licorice gets its flavor from glycyrrhizic acid, a chemical 50x sweeter than sugar!
- This flavor is used in many products other than licorice candy, such as alcohol, tobacco, and of course food.
- Carbenoxolone, a compound derived from licorice root, may help slow the effects of aging on the brain.
Licorice helps relieve the pains that accompany certain types of ulcers, and it is good for the adrenal glands.
Licorice root is a botanical ingredient in modern Chinese medicines used to manage cancers. Current research conducted at Rutgers, the
State University of New Jersey, supports the use of licorice in the treatment of prostate and breast cancer.
In Egypt the Pharaohs used liquorice to create a traditional drink called erqesos, which was consumed as a…
View original post 106 more words