This one is made using a single large (it was LARGE!) bramley bought from the Washingpool Farm Shop.
225g cooking apples, peeled, chopped, but remember to slice some for the top
Juice of ½ lemon
225g plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
115g butter, diced
165g dark brown sugar (use 50g of this for the topping)
1 egg beaten
2–3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (gas mark 4).
- Grease and line a 7″, round cake tin.
- Toss the apple with the lemon juice and set aside. Sift the flour and baking powder together then rub in the butter, until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir 115 g of the sugar, the apple and the egg, mix well, adding a little of the milk at a time to make a soft doughy mix.
- Transfer into your tin.
- In a bowl, mix the 50g of soft brown sugar, sliced apple and cinnamon, arrange on top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Wine: Jonathan Charles from Dorset Wine Company: “Just had a bite of the delicious apple cake and was hoping that the Somoerset Pomona would go well. I had one open so I gave it atry but sadly this seems a bit too spiritous and at 20%abv is overpowering. Without opening every dessert wine we have I am convinced that the best match would be theBaumard Carte d’Or Coteaux du Layon from the Loire. He is a bit of a superstar and the wine itself is a bargain – showing good honeyed fruit with citrus and green apple hints along with cracking acidity.”
If you do use this recipe, please send me your comments and even better please send me a photo of your cake and I will add it to this post Vicky@WestDorsetFoodie.co.uk
- Apple Tea Cake (createbakemake.com)
- #Baking: #Dorset Apple Cake (walkinginbeautyblog.wordpress.com)
- #Variation on the #Dorset #Apple #Cake (walkinginbeautyblog.wordpress.com)
- Apple spice cake – vegan friendly (eatmunchlove.wordpress.com)
- Dorset Apple Cake (abbiecooking.wordpress.com)
- Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake (motherrunnerlawyer.wordpress.com)
- Dorset Apple Cake (realruth.wordpress.com)