If you don’t know what to serve for dinner tonight …
The blend of spices in garam masala in this recipe bring the unique taste of India to your Healthiest Way of Eating. Enjoy!
Indian Style Lamb with Sweet Potatoes
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb ground or minced lamb shoulder or leg
- 1 medium-sized onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 5 cups finely chopped kale
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes (about 1 large potato)
- 1 TBS + 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Prepare all the vegetables by chopping and have ready.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a large-size stainless steel braising pot or skillet. Healthy Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and lamb in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garam masala*, mixing well for about half a minute. Add 1 cup broth and stir in sweet potatoes and kale. Simmer on medium low heat covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lamb, potatoes and kale are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
*Garam masala is a pre-blended spice mixture that you can find in either supermarkets, natural food stores, or Indian markets. It is widely used in Indian, Nepalese, and other Asian cuisines. It is made of cardamom, cloves, mace, cinnamon, cumin, fennel, black peppercorns, and fenugreek. Serving Suggestions: Serve with
George Mateljan Foundation, PO Box 25801, Seattle, Washington 98165